Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Short American Century: A Postmortem by Andrew Bacevich, David Kennedy and Emily Rosenberg, 2012

Remember Brookline Booksmith? Well, they host all these great author events, and I am dropping by one Thursday evening. What a good way to start off a 3 day weekend, right?

I am attending a discussion by Andrew Bacevich, a renowned professor from Boston University and retired military officer whom I was lucky enough to hear speak back as an undergrad at Indiana University. Two other professors from Harvard named Jeffrey Frieden and Akira Iriye will join the discussion. Down in the basement of the Booksmith, these 3 academics will discuss a new book by Bacevich, David Kennedy, and Emily Rosenberg on America in the latter half of the 20th century. The Short American Century: A Postmortem is a reflection, if you will.

I don't even remember much about Mr. Bacevich or what he talked to us fine, young 20 year olds about, BUT I remember it was riveting. He visited my American Military History class which I took spring semester of my senior year. And though I didn't agree with everything he said, I could tell this guy knew what he was talking about. He made me want to know what I was talking about. I am always impressed with knowledgeable people. They inspire me to read more and learn more and take more classes and run more and write more letters and just generally be less lazy. And maybe what I need right now is a swift kick to get me back on that track I was once on many moons ago. Andrew Bacevich, impress me with your knowledge. He will have truly blown me away if I walk out of the Booksmith with a hardcover copy of his book. I almost NEVER buy hardcover. Can he do it?

Read this interesting essay by Bacevich and then come join me at the event! Afterwards we can romp around Coolidge Corner eating chocolate bunnies and making plans on how to get smart like that guy we just saw. Deal?

*Thanks for your picture, Brookline Booksmith!

No comments:

Post a Comment