Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Catch Up

Oh yikes.

I'm sorry for neglecting you, you sweet, little blog. I quit you for over 2 weeks along with running and eating well-rounded meals and trying. But tomorrow is the start of a new week, and my chin is up! I will post/run/eat/conquer once again!

Since we last met, I had some wonderful ups and a few dismal downs. My ups included catching opening night of the Concord Player's performance of Little Women! This theater troupe was founded (way back when and under a different name), in part, by Miss Louisa May herself. And an Alcott descendent was in the performance AND the theater is mere minutes from Orchard House! In fact, there are tons of things happening in Concord to celebrate Orchard House's centennial including a continuous reading of Alcott's classic at the local public library. Alas, I will be galavanting around New York that weekend, but Bostonians should check it out!

Another up of the past few weeks was a long-winded catch up with a wonderful librarian friend (librarian friends are the best!) who is smart as a whip. But the best thing about her is she is not only smart but wise and open and encouraging and makes you want to be a better version of yourself. One of the highlights of our catch up was a spontaneous visit to Martha's Vineyard where we pedaled around on bikes all day. It reminded me of how much I love bikes and miss bike riding not in the city with traffic and fear but around neighborhoods and on bike paths with bike baskets and kick stands. And that made me happy for the summer which is just around the corner even if Mother Nature doesn't think so.

My birthday was celebrated with a trip to a cozy restaurant up the street, a place I've always wanted to visit.

I blew out the candle on this desert, profiteroles with banana ice cream and chocolate caramel sauce. And for all of you commoners who don't know what profiteroles are, they're just cream puffs which are automatically better because of their fancy name (I had to ask the waitress).

In other news, check out these awesome embroidered book covers of a few classics. Okay, maybe not practical, but let's throw practicality to the wind for a moment and think about what a nice addition to your bookshelf one would be. Or maybe to your mom's bookshelf just in time for Mother's Day?

And also, you should read about some novel ideas for book clubs here. This little article describes book clubs with a twist. Maybe I could take a piece of advice or two. I started a book club this year with my high school students and it was a struggle. The same regulars come each meeting, but it's way more of a chat session for high school girls than a book discussion. After all, that is what high school girls do best, BUT it would be nice to have a little enthusiasm for the book as well.

And that about catches you up. That and Dave graduated from his Master's program (yay Dave and his classmates!). I'll be more on top of things from here on out...or at least I'll try!


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the jacket in your birthday photo! You HAVE been busy lately. "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

    ReplyDelete