Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury died this week. I don't think I've ever read even one of his books, but just a few days ago I read a short story of his in that science fiction issue of the New Yorker and was surprised Bradbury was still alive.

And then I listened to some of this great program of On Point, the NPR radio show, celebrating the life of the late science fiction icon.

You know what else? That man loved libraries. He championed them and fought their closings. A friend of mine posted this quote of his online:

“Libraries raised me. I don’t believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries, because most students don’t have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn’t go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years."


I take my hat off to you, Mr. Bradbury.

I mean, come on MC. I haven't read Fahrenheit 451? How did I graduate high school? Add it to the summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment