Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Little Pookie and Avett Brothers


Aaah. Fall has arrived. We celebrated in the library by reading Leaf Man by Lois Elhert and making our own leaf men pictures complete with cut out leaves. I personally celebrated by splurging on a hardcover copy of Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her and devouring every word (more on that in a future post).

And we celebrated at home with a baby shower! My lovely friend Katie and her husband Matt are expecting a baby girl in a few short weeks. So Dave and I ambled over to their co-ed baby shower. We were asked to bring our favorite children's book in lieu of a card. Afraid of bringing the same book as another guest, I tried to get something a little off the beaten path. That being said, I purchased at Barnes and Noble so my choices weren't too out there. I chose:

Each Peach Pear Plum by Allan and Janet Ahlberg, 1986
   This is, by far, one of my all time favorite kid's books. I still have all the words memorized.

Baby Beluga by Raffi and Ashley Wolff, 1992
   Holler Raffi.

What's Wrong, Little Pookie? by Sandra Boynton, 2007   
   I fell in love with this book a few years ago. The short story follows an animal creature, Little Pookie, as he blubbers his way through the book. One each page, the narrator asks, "What's wrong, Little Pookie?" And then something to the effect of, "Did you spill your milk?" or ,"Did you stub your toe?" So now, whenever someone I know is getting a little whiny or weepy, I call them Little Pookie and let them cry their Little Pookie buffalo tears.
   Keep in mind there is a whole Little Pookie series.

I bought only board books seeing as baby's have a tendency to chew, throw, and tear whatever they have their hands on. 

In other exciting news, Dave and I are headed to an Avett Brothers concert this evening. I'm only half way familiar with a  few of their albums, but don't you hear nothing but nice things about their live performances? 

Winter in my Heart

I and Love and You
Down with the Shine

I'm happy to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment