Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What I Did Last Weekend


Things I did last weekend:

  • watched 6 year olds play soccer
  • reunited with my cousin Eileen. She's great!
  • had breakfast at Trio's in Dupont Circle, a regular on the family circuit
  • helped Dave as he cooked a feast  
  • got caught in a downpour while running around the capitol
  • went on a late-night drive with my brothers and Dave around the city, tradition!
  • voted absentee
  • rekindled my love for a good library friend in a corner booth one night
  • went to Eastern Market many a time
  • became increasingly overwhelmed by the idea of ever having children…how do you all do it? 
  • visited Kramerbooks and bought a new book!

Kramerbooks is, as my brothers would say, my jam. This tiny bookstore is open almost around the clock and is located just off of Dupont Circle in D.C. Yeah, it's packed and hard to maneuver. And yes, the books are overpriced. But I love it. I just do. Kramerbooks always seems to lie between where I am and where I'm going making it the perfect spot for a short visit (or maybe it's just that we're always going to Trio's, a restaurant down the block, to stuff ourselves with eggs and toast). Somehow I end up swinging through every time I'm in town even if its for just a quick hello. And I thought I'd actually buy something this time (living large!). So I did. Which of the following did I choose:

The Civil War: A Narrative, Volume 1, Fort Sumter to Perryville by Shelby Foote,  1958
I LOVE reading about the Civil War. Is it just me or do you love it, too? I took a class as an undergrad called "The American Civil War", and it goes down as one of my all time favorite courses along with "The Rise and Fall of the British Empire", "American Urban History", "American Military History", and who could forget "19th Century British Literature" (my English gem!). And while we're on the topic, I'll never regret majoring in history. Sure, I remember about 10 facts from these classes, but I also remember being so fascinated with the subject matter, staying up late reading for class and ENJOYING it and actually wanting to go to class, wanting to be like my professors, wanting to know more. And that respect for knowledge and love of learning is something from those days of which I need to remind myself.

ANYWAY, back to the Civil War. In that course, we read mostly primary texts. But this trilogy of nonfiction has sat on a shelf in the back of my mind. That shelf is entitled the "one day" shelf or the "must read to get smarter" shelf (do you have those shelves?). And I want to know about the Civil War, really know about it, as in the players and the landscapes and the battles and the politics. And then I want those books on my shelf so when I've forgotten all I read (which will happen down the line just as it did after my class 5 or 6 years ago), I can always go back to them and remind myself. I think this thoroughly researched, vetted, and respected comprehensive tome can do that for me. 

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk, 1998

Way back when, I studied abroad in central Europe (Budapest, to be exact). While there, I embarked on a literary journey because I was really getting into reading heavy things, and I had some great friends who were smarter than I and pushed me towards solid titles. One of them was Snow by Orhan Pamuk. And you know what? I never finished that book...maybe got about halfway through. But I have a lot of respect for Mr. Pamuk as I should because the man is a Nobel laureate. He's Turkish and has a unique voice to someone like me who reads primarily American or British literature. From my limited experience, his writing seems meaty and difficult. Yes, you know I believe in brain candy, but sometimes I feel like all I read is fluff. I want to read something that is both challenging and contemporary and fictional. Snow was that for me. And I gave it up. This reader needs to be pushed again. I need to read things that aren't always comfortable, titles that are semi-obscure. And then, I need to tell YOU about it so you can read it, too!

The Round House by Louise Erdrich, 2012
Remember when I said Dave was a good sport?

This book keeps popping up on my radar, and boy does it sound good. I'm mostly intrigued with the setting: an Ojibwe (that's the way Erdrich writes it, but is it Ojibway? Hmmm) reservation in North Dakota. Unique settings always perk my ears up. And this one has it, don't you think? Besides that, I know little. I think the story is told from a teenage boy's point-of-view. His mother is raped and beaten within an inch of her life, and the boy and his friends head off to find the perpetrator. It has received some pretty solid reviews. One major problem with buying this book: it is only available in hardcover. I usually reserve those purchases for only those titles I MUST buy.

So who's the winner?



My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk came out on top and is now staring lovingly at me from my night stand…along with about 11 other books. My bad. I'll let you know how it is!

P.S. Like my socks?

2 comments:

  1. Haha my first thought when I saw that last picture was that I love your socks. When do WE get to reunite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brig, I know you have some similarly styled footwear in your sock drawer. And yes, a reunion is LONG overdue. I have some ideas up my sleeve.

    ReplyDelete