Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, 1996

Guess what?! You know how I'm always singing the praises of the holds system at the library? Well, it has served me well yet again. The first season of HBO's Game of Thrones series was available for yours truly to pick up today. What a great way to get through the next 4 days before break! Let me explain.

So a few Septembers ago my brother Matt and I had this long conversation about a series he had been reading. We were sitting on the floor of a doctor's office waiting room passing the time talking about books. He is a pretty avid reader and much better at finding obscure fictional gems than I. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin came up. I'd never heard of it. Matt went on to describe an epic fantasy series that has yet to be completed. He said I should read it.

So I did.

And I couldn't put it down.

The first book, Game of Thrones, is 807 pages long and introduces a whole slew of characters and back stories and really, an entirely imagined world. So there's a lot to learn and digest. The very basic gist is there's this island kingdom called Westeros which is the home of many long lived and noble families. The kingdom is under the rule of one king since the fall of a ruling dragon kingdom in the past. All is running pretty smoothly in Westeros until the "King's Hand" dies and Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell is asked to take over the position. Honest Abe Stark assumes his new duties but makes some shocking discoveries in the process...and then the whole thing comes crumbling down in a power struggle of battles, assassinations, love affairs, etc. Also, there's this whole forbidden world on the north end of Westertos cut off by a giant wall full of terrifying things. The first book really left me interested in the dark, frigid area beyond the wall and what role it would play in the future of the story.

I got through book one and was interested in reading on in the series but figured I needed a breather. Better to pace yourself than burn out. Well, a short break of a month or two has become 6 or 7 months, and now I feel like I can't remember what I read! Cue the television series! I thought I'd watch season 1 for a refresher before picking up book 2, A Clash of Kings. Brother Matt thinks I may get the imagery and actors stuck in my head which is always a let down when you still have more reading to do, and he's probably right, but I don't really care. I would care with, say, the Lord of the Rings, but Song of Ice and Fire ain't no LOTR. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Song of Ice and Fire, and it is certainly an entertaining read, but it is rife with problems. It is extremely graphic and violent which I can handle but can get old. The lurid , masochistic sex scenes really started to wear on me. The new dragon queen who is maybe 13 if I remember correctly and the husband to whom she is promised...some of their scenes were just hard to read. So I read it with a grain of salt and am only so invested. It is the type of book you don't mind watching on television. Got me?

Intrigued? Read the book. You'll never regret reading the book before seeing the movie or watching the show.

Thanks brother! Matt always knows whats up.

No comments:

Post a Comment