Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Max's Chocolate Chicken by Rosemary Wells, 1989

Dave loves Max's Chocolate Chicken.

I knew he would.

This may be his favorite part:

Do you know the Max and Ruby books by Rosemary Wells? Run to your library and check one out if you don't. They're GREAT! And if you think they're too slow or old fashioned, take it from me as a librarian who works in an urban elementary school, the kids LOVE them. Max and Ruby, a brother and sister pair of bunny rabbits, rank up there in popularity with more modern storybook characters like Mo Willem's pigeon, Fancy Nancy, and Arthur.

I have vague memories of these two from my childhood. They didn't play a central role in my book world which seems funny because my mom loved one of Well's books about a mouse titled Noisy Nora and Ms. Wells tends to write sweet books about little animals who are just kind of charming and subtle (which is right up my mom's alley). Like Max and Ruby! But I digress.

After being constantly harassed by first graders for Max and Ruby books, I found a copy of Max's Chocolate Chicken in my library and flipped through it. And I laughed out loud alone in that empty library...a real, audible laugh.

Maybe I'm finding humor in places the author didn't intend, but I suspect Wells is one of those sneaky children's book writers who make read-alouds entertaining for kids and parents alike. Max's Chocolate Chicken is, well, hilarious. The pictures are sooo goofy. A kid will love this book because of the serious plot line of Max selfishly taking the chocolate chicken during an Easter egg hunt (notice this is a chocolate chicken...not a chocolate bunny...the characters are rabbits, after all), and adults will love this book because how can you not laugh about that totally googly-eyed look Max has laying in the cave eating his chocolate chicken? He looks like an absolute oaf. And the part where Max's feelings are revealed as he stares longingly to the top of the birdbath where his chicken rests: I love you! said Max. I just crack up. 

Ruby is forever the older sister bossing Max around, but she is more of a know-it-all than a grump. Her bossiness is endearing and tender. And Max is too sweet and smitten for the chocolate chicken to notice his sister's orders.

I love you! said Max.

P.S. If you can't get your hands on your own copy, check out this read aloud I found on youtube...it looks like some AP English high schoolers love chocolate chickens, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment