Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Meeting Gollum

I'm exhausted.

And full...still.

And I am reveling in all that was Lincoln. Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Was it the best movie I ever saw? No. And if you're expecting a sweeping saga on the Civil War and the mysterious Mary Todd, you'll be disappointed. The movie focuses on Lincoln's political maneuvering in early 1865 as he works towards passing the Thirteenth Ammendment to formally abolish slavery while the Civil War draws to a close. My grandma was disappointed and felt it was more of a documentary than a feature film, but I was very interested in the work done to gather those pivotal votes. And really, it just made me want to scurry back to Indianapolis and spend a long sunday with Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin, the book which the movie Lincoln is based on, the book that is sitting on my nightstand with a bookmark secured snuggly somewhere in the middle of chapter 2!

Tis the season of the book turned movie, and I am woefully behind on my reading. In addition to my Civil War reading, I am a few chapters in to my reread of The Hobbit (definitely have to brush up before the movie comes out) and am lamenting my poor Anna Karenina. That book has been on my bookshelf for years, and I've started it so many times! Now that darn movie is coming out, and I'll be too weak to resist going to see it. And forevermore, my experience with a Russian literary classic will forever be tarnished with images of Keira Knightley and Jude Law. Such is the plight of the book made movie.

I leave you this scence from The Hobbit cartoon movie (1980) to bring you back. It haunted my childhood dreams. And you know what? I'm skeptical anything Peter Jackson comes up with can top this:

No comments:

Post a Comment