Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Turkey Trot

Thanksgiving is upon us!

My mom and grandma are making our feast so I'll be in my hometown eating mashed potatoes, struggling with the pecan pie I've committed to make, and turkey trotting. That's right: Dave and I will be up bright and early to run a 10K around town. The route goes right by my house so I figure we can just detour through the front door if we're feeling really unmotivated or if the smell of stuffing is just too good to pass up. My idea is this trot will both alleviate the guilt of overeating later in the day, AND it will get get us out of the house. I love, LOVE Thanksgiving, but my one hang up is, if you're hosting, you end up in your house all day. You never leave. And you can't even find a quiet corner for 10 minutes to read a book or just stare at the ceiling because you've got to be social and all. This trot will get us out the door and doing something instead of lolling around, and we'll only watch 10 hours of football that day instead of 12. That's worth something. And we should be back in time to catch one of my favorite Thanksgiving day traditions: the parades!

Other things I'm doing this weekend:

  • going to a college basketball game at my hometown's little university
  • driving through the farm up the road that sets up a Christmas light display
  • cleaning the gutters 
  • maybe seeing Lincoln or Anna Karenina
  • AND putting up Christmas lights for my mom

Things I will NOT be doing this weekend:

  • participating in the charade that is the Friday after Thanksgiving...you can find me raking leaves, eating turkey sandwiches, and walking off the damage done on Thursday.

What are you doing for the holiday? Where will you be? Make my day and comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment