Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Digging Out


Well, it's old news now, but one week, 10 odd inches of snow, 15 degrees below, 3 days of stomach sickness, 5 snow days (yes, 5!), and one Michigan State basketball victory later, and we're finally on the cusp of routine. I miss it. I crave it. I need it.

This week I'm headed to some hot yoga, library-ing it up back at school (haven't seen you, school, since December 20th!), and keeping my bright and cheery disposition shining like a beacon from which all of you SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) victims can gather warmth.

That last statement was made with a high level of self-deprecating snark as I am a true believer in SAD, and though I may not suffer from symptoms as severe as others, I fall victim to this time of year, well, every year. But this year! This year I aim to put up a fight.

Ways MC plans to battle overall malaise these dark January, February, March, and maybe April (dependent on your locale) days:

1. Nail Polish

  • So I know dark nails are the thing, the thing for the winter. I've got it. Heard you loud and clear. And you all look fab with your deep purples, crimsons, and blues. I mean that. But I just can't quite commit to chic and trendy fingernails. I am drawn to the azures, the pale pinks, the oranges of summer. I CRAVE them. And with all the colors available to us all the live-long year, why play it safe? My January wardrobe is pretty dark and monotone. I am giving permission to my nails to be where the party's at. This winter I embrace the bright, bold, and happy nail. Do you like this, this, or THIS? What the heck? You'll probably pick it off in a week anyway so try something fun.

2. Exercise, specifically hot yoga

  • Ugh. We all know it, but who wants to admit that IN GENERAL regular exercise makes you feel overall better (because I kind of dispute that I immediately feel better...I immediately feel a release of the potential guilt I would have if I hadn't exercised...that is different). So making it to the gym on a regular basis will be a continued goal. But adding to that goal, I think some more hot yoga sessions will do my body good. If you aren't familiar, hot yoga is just as it sounds: yoga in a hot room. Don't forget to hydrate. Seriously. Do you find you're always focusing on cardio or strength but spend very little time on flexibility or on your mental health for that matter? Here's to hoping hot yoga will improve my flexibility and sanity (and keep me warm, right? Is it as hot in there if it is freezing outside? Yes. Yes, it is.)

3. Winter Olympics

  • I mean, come on! The tears of the winter olympians may be enough to get me through the below freezing temps without the help of anything else on this list. That and the Morgan Freeman Visa Olympic commercials. This and this and THIS! Also, figure skating rocked my world starting in second grade as I know it did for many of you. So I'm looking forward to the ritual of hunkering down in front of the television, watching the teeny athletes perform and then sit with their coaches on that bench staring at the scoreboard, and maybe shedding a tear or two for second place (but not really because second place is AMAZING! Why do those figure skaters get so hung up on it? Michelle Kwan never won gold, but she is still my favorite so gold, shmold). Olympics, you're okay in my book.

*I'm hoping for a peaceful time for all in Sochi which seems to be an unsteady site with concerns over terrorism, gay rights, and the human rights practices of the Russian government (brief overview).

4. Tunes

  • I bet you could beat the winter blues if you started each morning with this song.


5. Fresh food

  • Nothing like some fruit and veggies to make you feel like summer's around the corner. I know most things aren't in season, but rock the citrus. Seriously, rock the citrus. I could eat about 18 clementines in one sitting. Good thing they sell them in bulk!

So there you have it: my plans to survive the first 3 months of 2014 with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. How will you get through? Check out the tried and true Mayo Clinic for some real and reliable S.A.D. info and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment