Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Welcome, New Year!

Holiday bounty...this isn't all of it!
The holidays are great and all, but is it just me, or are you glad they're behind us?

I had a ball with my family and friends for the past 2 weeks. We ate, we drank, and we sang ourselves silly. But never have I felt such a strong desire for the restart of the new year. Clean slate. Square one. You are welcome here, 2014. Come into my warm embrace.

2013 was great, y'all. Don't get me wrong. But it was a whirlwind, and my reading suffered. The mayhem prevented me from getting lost in any books, from really devouring them. The calm of a serene 2014 full of words is appealing. (One can hope!)

And on to the books! I have some great readers around me. GREAT! And they gift me with new titles all while I pilfer their own personal libraries and fill my suitcase with the bounty. I come to this restart with a new motivation to not just find and covet books, but to actually sit down and read them as I've always done. Let me share a few titles still resting rather snugly in my suitcase, great candidates for the first solid read of the new year.

Detroit City Is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis by Mark Binelli, 2012

Truth be told: Detroit City Is the Place to Be was resting under many a board book on my brother and sister-in-law's staircase. I started it while I was their house guest intrigued as we all are now (I'm late to the game) in all things Detroit. So far as I can tell, Mark Binelli moved to Detroit and wrote this nonfiction book about his observations while there. The book is also littered with history and possibilities for the city's future. I read this Slate review that seems pretty convincing of Binelli's lyrical prowess and ability to inform and entertain despite not coming to any new conclusions.
I grew up about 4 hours from Detroit and now spend a lot of time in Michigan as my husband lives there, and I have NEVER BEEN WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS! Travesty.
2014 resolution: visit Detroit.

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, 1939

Not usually much of a mystery reader, I've never read any Agatha Christie. NONE! Isn't that the worst? My brothers (they're at it again...they are the true feeders of my reading habit) say And Then There Were None is pretty creepy and not in the gruesome way but in the suspenseful unknowing way which is the best kind of creepy.
10 people, all of whom were involved in the death of other people in various ways, are tricked into coming to an island on which they are trapped due to poor weather. One by one they are each killed.
And that's all I know because I haven't read it! But seeing as it is considered the best selling mystery novel ever, this librarian needs to get on it!

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, 2009

Dave gave me this book for Christmas...do you think he's trying to say something?! I spent a lot of time during the latter half of 2013 going through the motions, sulking in my teeny apartment, and generally feeling in a funk. Husband is on it throwing back the curtains, letting the light in, and gifting me this book written by Gretchen Rubin who devoted a year of her life to incorporating more happiness and joy in her day-to-day.
Maybe giving up all those" drink more water", "exercise daily", "up your veggie intake" resolutions and resolving to get happy in 2014 is the way to go?
Gold Coast by Elmore Leonard, 1980

Elmore Leonard passed away this year, and I've never read his books. Seen a movie or two (Get Shorty, Be Cool, etc.) adapted from his work, but never read one of his books. And then wouldn't you know my brother Matt had this nestled on his bookshelf. He gave it a high accolades so it stowed away in my carry on.
One sentence pitch: When Karen's mob boss husband passes away, he leaves her millions with a caveat: if she starts seeing someone else, she'll lose it all...something is bound to happen with a set up like that!
I've only read the first chapter, but so far it is quick and readable with plenty of plot to keep you entertained.


P.S. Leonard spent much of his life living in Michigan and working in Detroit. Just a little Michigan lover there for you.

*And while you're busy clicking around the internet, check out this cheeky piece written by Leonard for the NY Times in 2001: "WRITERS ON WRITING; Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially Hooptedoodle".

Happy fresh start to you and yours! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment